A few weeks ago, Tim and I participated in the Cotopaxi Questival in Knoxville. We had so much fun doing it and made some great friends along the way. And I know what you are thinking… “what the hell is that?” We had a lot of you guys ask us on Instagram and Snapchat what on earth we are doing as we shared with you some of our completed challenges. So, what is the Cotopaxi Questival? It is a 24-hour adventure scavenger race that makes you build friendships, push yourself, experience your city, and have a whole bunch of fun and silliness! They say “We guarantee it’ll be like nothing you’ve ever experienced” and I am here to tell they are right! By the end of it we were ready to hit up a local brewery…
Cotopaxi is a feel good company. Think TOMs meets outdoor gear, they are environmentally aware, do good, and are just the kind of company we at CircaWanderlust like to support. They like to shake things up.Those scraps of leftover fabric? They make bad ass colorful gear out of them. That old way of insulating a jacket? Not a thing at Cotopaxi, thye are using llama fiber. They believe that by taking an inventive, considered approach to product design, they can help make a positive impact on the world. And the Cotopaxi Questival embodies that spirit. And each racer receives a Cotopaxi Luzon backpack that shows off that left over fabric colorful approach their products have.
What if you could spend 24 hours with your closest friends, in your favorite city, checking a bunch of amazing experiences off your bucket list? Now imagine taking part in this with hundreds and even thousands of other adventure seekers…
During the Cotopaxi Questival, you have 24 hours to complete over 250 challenges specific to your location. Whether it’s adventure & fitness, food, service, or teamwork, the challenges that push you out of your comfort zone. Each challenge has corresponding points so you are able to pick which you want to complete, all of which are submitted via the Cotopaxi Questival app. The coolest part about the scoring is that your points only get you so far… once in the Top 10, your rank is based on peer scores! Team work with other questival teams is encouraged and you end up making some friends along the way! They say that “anyone can do it, but only the slightly neurotic thrive.”
Some of the Challenges
- Arm wrestle a stranger not participating in questival, while armwrestling another stranger lefty, that’s right double armwrestling.
- Choreograph a team dance and perform it with audible music in a crowded area.
- Show us your best team roller skating dance moves in a venue of your choosing, make it fabulous.
- Catch a fish outdoors in a natural body of water with a fly rod.
- Do your best gymnastics trick on a trampoline that you have permission to use. The rest of your team needs to hold up judging point cards.
- Get in full ski or snowboard gear and lay out in your yard as if you were tanning.
- Challenge another questival team to a best of 3 penalty kick competition using a regulation goal two totems in the
- Do a ‘track’ stand for 8 full seconds on a bike. No balance assistance allowed can not roll more than 12″
- Recreate the scene from the movie “IT” where the little boy in his rain coat runs after his newspaper boat
- Jump into a natural (not a pool) body of water with your clothes on. Bring a towel!
- Collect a variety of different colored fall leaves, at least 6 different shades of colors. Give them to someone’s mom.
- Do a wheelie on a bike for 4 seconds or longer.
- Make some homeade rootbear with dry ice. Give a toast to someone.
- Hold a formal freestyle rap off with a stranger not participating in the Questival.
- Take a 1st day back to school photo as a team on a porch complete with backpacks and 1st day of school clothes and
maybe even lunchboxes
- Film yourself doing a skateboard trick that you invented.
- Mountain bike on a dirt trail for three miles. Track with an app. (screenshot)
View this post on Instagram
August 3rd is National Watermelon Day. Who knew? To celebrate, you should probably do challenge #274- Share a large melon as a team, carefully create a helmet from the melon. #nationalwatermelonday #Questival 📸: @dansohner from Questival Denver. (PS Denver- we'll be back September 29th for Oktoberquest! Check out the event calendar at the link in our bio)!
While camping in the wilderness…
- While camping at in the wilderness make a commercial for a cologne/perfume based on the scent of campfire. Channel
your inner Chanel™.
- While camping in the wilderness come up with a SUPER clever way of roasting one of your marshmallows for your s’more.
Complete this challenge during nighttime hours.
- While camping in the wilderness document/photograph at least 4 different types of wildlife, each unique/from separate
animal families. (Don’t forget the totem)
- While camping in the wilderness cook a meal over a campfire. Complete this challenge during nighttime hours.
- While camping in the wilderness start a campfire without matches, a lighter, or starter fluid (fire must be contained inside a legal fire pit). Complete this challenge during nighttime hours.
- While camping share a meal with another team over a campfire. Two totems required in the submission. Complete this challenge during nighttime hours.
- While camping in the wilderness make s’mores over a campfire add an extra ingredient and share your recipe in the caption. Complete this challenge during nighttime hours.
- Share a campsite with another team. Two totems required in the submission. Complete this challenge during nighttime hours.
- While camping in the wilderness recite a Cotopaxi rap around a campfire. Complete this challenge during nighttime hours.
- While camping in the wilderness video a 15 second scary story around a campfire. Complete this challenge during nighttime hours.
- While camping in the wilderness dowse a campfire.
- While camping in the wilderness draw a picture of a llama w/ charcoal from your campfire.
- Document the largest living spider you can find. Not from a store or cage/terrarium.
- Research the symptoms of heat stroke then make a 15-sec video sharing how to spot the symptoms
Team CircaWanderlust at the Knoxville OctoberQuest
It is no secret that I am a very competitive person. I don’t like to loose. But the Questival isn’t about winning or loosing, it is about having fun. And we had a lot!!! Being new to Knoxville really required that we talk to other teams, spend some time doing research, and partner with as many other Questers as possible. The hardest thing was that we were a team of 2, so we will certainly be recruiting for next years team! One of my favorite parts of the whole adventure was seeing other Do Good Totem flags around town. There were 82 teams in the Knoxville OctoberQuest and as we made our way through some of the challenges we started to see familiar faces around town. Since having moved to TN, this was the most fun we’ve had and I am so happy that our friends in Atlanta who did it last year told us about it!
Check out some of our Questival challenge pictures…
View this post on Instagram
A huge THANK YOU to @cotopaxiquestival @cotopaxi and all the amazing teams we met along the way. 24 hours was insanely fun though challenging as a 2 person team. See you next year, friends! . . #questival #questival2017 #knoxvillequestival #oktoberquest #cotopaxiquestival #cotopaxi
Tim doing the mouthful of mustard challenge
Completed the first check point challenge on Saturday.
Dinner on Friday!
Finding our favorite tree!
Art in public spaces…
You know I love an oarsman!
Tim’s talent showcased via the llama shaped pancakes!
Sharing a meal with new friends